What We Do
We work in partnership and aim to achieve • an outstanding landscape, rich in wildlife and cultural heritage • a thriving, sustainable economy and vibrant communities • a strong connection between people and the landscape
Arnside & Silverdale AONB Management Plan 2019-24
The AONB Management Plan is just that – a plan for the AONB area. It provides a strategic framework to guide all activities that might affect the AONB in ways that conserve and enhance the natural beauty and special qualities of the area over the 5-year period 2019-24.
The AONB Management Plan is a statutory plan which sets out a shared long-term Vision for the area. It describes the broad range of issues facing this area and a framework for action to conserve and enhance the area for future generations.
In order to achieve effective conservation and enhancement of the area, working together in partnership is crucial; local authorities, communities, organisations, landowners/managers and businesses must work jointly to successfully implement the Plan.
The aims of the Management Plan, which reflect the AONB purposes, are to:
- conserve and enhance the natural beauty and special qualities of the AONB
- promote and support sustainable agriculture, forestry and other rural industries
- promote the social and economic wellbeing of people living within the AONB
- increase public understanding and enjoyment of the AONB
- meet the recreational needs of local residents and visitors alike – where these are compatible with the purpose of AONB designation.
Arnside & Silverdale AONB Management Plan 2019-24 (an 13MB file)
Please note that the AONB Management Plan is distinct from the AONB Development Plan Document, a local planning document recently adopted by South Lakeland District Council and Lancaster City Council, which sets out planning policies for the area and allocates appropriate sites for development.