What We Do
We work in partnership and aim to achieve
• an outstanding landscape, rich in wildlife and cultural heritage
• a thriving, sustainable economy and vibrant communities
• a strong connection between people and the landscape
A Development Plan Document for Arnside & Silverdale AONB
Arnside & Silverdale AONB Development Plan Document
South Lakeland District Council and Lancaster City Council are preparing a dedicated Development Plan Document (DPD) for the whole of the Arnside & Silverdale AONB. The DPD will form part of both authorities’ Local Plans. It will identify sites for new housing and employment to meet local needs and will set out planning policies to ensure that development reflects the AONB designation.
As a key early step in the preparation of the Arnside & Silverdale AONB DPD, the Councils invited suggestions for sites to be considered for inclusion in the plan. Consultations on these took place in 2015 and 2016.
All the relevant information gathered was evaluated and the Councils prepared a Draft Plan which was formally consulted upon between 10th November 2016 and 5th January 2017.
Changes to the DPD suggested through the consultation during winter 2016/17, have now been published by the councils for further consultation. The changes relate to three sites, as follows:
- Silverdale – proposal for part of site S50, which was previously put forward for consideration and then withdrawn, to be re-considered for residential development;
- Storth – proposal to extend the areas proposed for allocation on Park Road and Quarry Lane to include additional sites, including areas to be kept open;
- Arnside – proposal to amend the boundary of the site proposed for allocation on Hollins Lane (A8/A9) to include an alternative area for development and publicly accessible open space.
A public consultation inviting comments on these suggested changes only was launched on 19th June 2017, closing at 5pm on Monday 17 July. For more information and to see the sites and suggested changes, please download the consultation document or call into:
- Arnside & Silverdale AONB Offices, The Old Station Building Arnside, LA5 0HG
- South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, LA9 4DL
- Customer Service Centre, Town Hall, Marine Road East, Morecambe LA4 5AF
- Libraries in Arnside, Carnforth, Kendal and Milnthorpe
- The Silverdale Hotel, Shore Road, Silverdale, LA5 0TP
Comments can be made by using the online consultation response facility http://applications.southlakeland.gov.uk/ldfconsultation/ or by completing a response form (PDF/1.64MB/6pages) (available online and from any of the locations listed below) and returning it to SLDC by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Development Plans Manager, South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, Cumbria LA9 4DQ.
For clarity, the role of the AONB Partnership is to advise the Councils on the preparation of the Plan. The AONB Partnership remains an independent consultee and will submit its own response to the consultation.
The AONB Partnership prepared a report detailing the special qualities of the AONB to support the consultation: What is special about the Arnside & Silverdale AONB?
The Draft Plan and associated documents can be viewed below
- Arnside & Silverdale DPD:Draft Plan Document (4MB)
- Appendix 2: Site Assessment Spreadsheet
- Maps (10MB) (A Whole AONB Site Map is available to view on the SLDC website)
- Interim Consultation Statement (2MB)
- Summary of responses to Issues & Options/Extra Sites Consultations (2.59MB)
- Draft Sustainability Appraisal Report (8MB)
- Draft Sustainability Report – Non Technical Summary
- Draft Habitats Regulations Report
- Draft Habitats Regulations Report Appendix : Functionally Linked Land Desk Study
- Arnside & Silverdale AONB DPD:Viability Study
- AONB sites: Landscape Assessments (11MB)
- AONB sites: Biodiversity Assessments
29 March – 3 May 2016 – Arnside and Silverdale AONB Development Plan Document: Extra Sites Consultation
The consultation on these extra sites is now closed. Thank you to everyone who submitted comments.
November/December 2015 – Issues and Options Consultation
Consultation events on the Issues that the DPD will need to address and the Options for doing so, were held in the six main communities in the AONB. Thank you to all of you who took part.
3rd June and 8th July 2015 – The Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report for the Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Development Plan Document (DPD) consultation
The report was prepared by Hyder Consulting (UK) Ltd on behalf of Lancaster City Council and South Lakeland District Council and represents the first stage of the Sustainability Appraisal (SA) process for the Arnside and Silverdale AONB DPD. The SA process will help the City Council and South Lakeland District Council to assess whether, and to what extent, emerging policies and proposals within the DPD will impact upon environmental, social and economic conditions in the AONB area. It also provides a means of identifying and addressing any adverse effects that draft policies and proposals might have.
The evidence in the survey reports has been used to help the Councils understand the particular housing needs in the AONB, and has contributed to an objective assessment of need for market and affordable housing in the AONB over the 15 year period of the Plan.
12 December 2014 – 28 February 2015 Lancaster City and South Lakeland District Councils invited site suggestions for the Arnside & Silverdale AONB Development Plan. Altogether 117 site suggestions were put forward.