What We Do
We work in partnership and aim to achieve
• an outstanding landscape, rich in wildlife and cultural heritage
• a thriving, sustainable economy and vibrant communities
• a strong connection between people and the landscape
A Development Plan Document for Arnside & Silverdale AONB
Arnside & Silverdale AONB Development Plan Document
The Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) covers part of South Lakeland and part of Lancaster District.
South Lakeland District Council and Lancaster City Council are preparing a dedicated Development Plan Document (DPD) for the whole of the AONB. The DPD will form part of both Councils’ Local Plans. It will identify sites for new housing and employment to contribute towards meeting local needs and will set out planning policies to ensure that development reflects the AONB designation.
The timetable for preparing this document is set out in the SLDC Local Development Scheme.
Once adopted, the DPD will complement the Arnside and Silverdale AONB Management Plan 2014 to 2019.
South Lakeland District Council and Lancaster City Council jointly submitted the Arnside & Silverdale AONB DPD to the Secretary of State (Planning Inspectorate) for Examination on Wednesday 28 February 2018.
The key submission documents are:
- Submission AONB DPD
- Policies Map and Map Book
- Sustainability Appraisal Report
- Representations Statement
- Consultation Statement
- Statement of Submission
The submission documents are available via Arnside & Silverdale AONB DPD consultation stages. All documents that support the preparation of the DPD are also available via the AONB DPD Submission / Examination Library (pdf, 642kB, 36 pages)
Hard copies of the Submission AONB DPD, Policies Map, Sustainability Appraisal Report, Representations Statement, Consultation Statement and Statement of Submission are available for inspection during normal opening hours at:
- South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4UF
- Morecambe Town Hall, Marine Road East, Morecambe, LA4 5AF
- Arnside & Silverdale AONB Offices, The Old Station Building, Arnside LA5 0HG
- Libraries in Arnside, Carnforth, Kendal, Milnthorpe and Silverdale.
Hard copies of other documents are available on request.
Notice of Examination Hearings The Examination will include public hearings on 19, 20 and 21 June, further details of which can be found on the SLDC website. For all AONB DPD examination matters the Programme Officer should be contacted via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and telephone on 01539 793560.
- The Programme Officer for the joint examination is Miss Kerry Trueman. The role of the Programme Officer is to assist the Inspector with the conduct of the examination. The Programme Officer is independent of the council and works for the Inspector.
- The Planning Inspectorate has appointed Philip Lewis BA (Hons) MA MRTPI to conduct the examination into whether the AONB DPD is sound. A joint examination will be held with the Development Management Policies DPD, which was also submitted by South Lakeland District Council on 28 February 2018.
To view the documents associated with all previous consultation stages, as well as links to consultation responses, please see Arnside and Silverdale AONB DPD Consultation Stages.
The AONB DPD and other proposed submission documents, including the evidence base and other supporting information, are available at: