What We Do
We work in partnership and aim to achieve
• an outstanding landscape, rich in wildlife and cultural heritage
• a thriving, sustainable economy and vibrant communities
• a strong connection between people and the landscape
The LOVEmyBEACH campaign was created in 2013 by Keep Britain Tidy and with support from individuals and partners across the region we have been working to help keep our beaches and bathing waters clean. The cleanliness of the water is measured by the amount of bacteria in it, bacteria which can come from many places. As well as pollution in the sea, litter and dog poo on the beach, the water quality is affected by water washed into the sea from inland, particularly after heavy rain.
So wherever you live, work, visit in the North West, you can help to support LOVEmyBEACH – you don’t have to live by the sea to make a difference. We all need to do our bit!
The following are just some of the ways in which we are helping
- Our volunteers, led by the AONB Countryside Officer, go out on a monthly basis to collect litter from around the AONB, including areas like Keer Bridge, Arnside promenade and The Cove at Silverdale. Why not join them?
- In all our publications, visitors and residents alike are encouraged to follow the Countryside Code and take their litter home and dog owners are encouraged to clean up after their pets.
- We have recently supported Natural England and the Environment Agency on their research into the causes of diffuse pollution at Leighton Moss nature reserve.
- In the AONB office, we use only cleaning products which are eco-friendly
Visit the LOVEmyBEACH website to get lots of simple ideas on how you too can help.