Learn more about the landscape and heritage through walks, talks and other events. Volunteer to help at events, to carry out surveys or practical conservation tasks. Become a champion for the AONB by raising awareness in your own community and by supporting local projects.
Volunteering for the Trust
We are always looking for new volunteers, so whether you are interested in data recording, helping at events or carrying out practical conservation tasks on our nature reserves, we’d love to hear from you.
Volunteer tasks planned for August 2017 are:
- 3 August – There is no planned volunteer task today.
- 10 August – Today we will be at Coldwell Parrock to remove Ragwort and extract felled timber. Please meet at the South gate.
- 17 August – We will be at the Guard Hill Lane Steele family reserve to carry out Ragwort removal and scrub management.
- 24 August – Back to Teddy Heights where we will be extracting wood and carrying out scrub management.
- 29 August – An extra task on a Tuesday for one month only – The Landscape Trust reserves group will lead today’s task at Coldwell Parrock to collect wildflower seeds; mow and rake meadow; scatter collected wildflower seeds and transport cut hay to Coldwell Meadow. Meet at AONB Office before 10:00am or at Coldwell Parrock south gate (SD 479 777) at 10:15am. All volunteers must be registered. For further information, please contact Tony Riden via e-mail tony@arnsidesil
verdaleaonb.org.uk or phone 01524 761034
- 31 August – Please meet at Coldwell Parrock south gate where we will be collecting green hay for spreading on meadows and grassland at Guard Hill Lane Steele family reserve and Arnside allotments.
All practical conservation tasks unless otherwise stated start on site at 10.00am and finish at 12.30pm, meeting at the following grid references.
- Coldwell Parrock North Gate SD 479 779
- Coldwell Parrock South Gate SD 479 777
- Teddy Heights North Gate SD 474 793 – Please note that there is no parking on the approach road.
- Teddy Heights South Gate and Meadow SD 475 789
- Coldwell Meadows SD 476 776
- Guard Hill Lane Steele Family Reserve SD 472 800
- Storth School SD 475 802
- Warton School SD 499 724
- Sandside Cutting SD 478 807
- Arnside Coastguard Station SD 449 782 – Access on foot via the Promenade.
If you would like to come along, just turn up and all training and introduction will be given on site. However, if you wish, you can contact Bob Pickup beforehand on 01524 761740 or firstname.lastname@example.org for informal discussions on what we offer and our aims.
You will need to wear weather-appropriate clothing and footwear and bring a hot flask or bottle of water. Protective gloves are available on request. All tasks will be appropriated to the skills, experience and health of any individual; all we ask is that if anyone is concerned in any way about what they are being asked to undertake that they bring it to the attention of the task leader. Unfortunately, unlike some national bodies, we are unable to provide any expenses for travel etc. It is advisable to always check the website before setting off just in case a late cancellation has to be made.
Further details on these tasks and other volunteering opportunities can be found on the What’s On calendar.
- Telephone: 01524 761034
- Email: email@example.com