Learn more about the landscape and heritage through walks, talks and other events. Volunteer to help at events, to carry out surveys or practical conservation tasks. Become a champion for the AONB by raising awareness in your own community and by supporting local projects.
What is the Community Interest Company?
The Bittern Countryside Community Interest Company (CIC) (No: 6363720) was formally incorporated on 6th September 2007 as a social enterprise. The Company’s principal objective is to assist the AONB Partnership in its work to conserve and enhance the natural beauty of the area.
In common with all CICs, there is an “asset lock” from the Company to a charity or not-for-profit group which means that if it ceases to operate, its remaining assets will be distributed for social/environmental purposes. In the case of the Bittern Countryside CIC, this asset lock body is the Arnside & Silverdale AONB Landscape Trust.
The Bittern Countryside CIC is a private company owned by its shareholders. As a private company its shares cannot be traded and are not listed on any stock market or exchange. Its registered office is the Old Station Building, Arnside, LA5 0HG. Click here for a list and contact details of the current directors.
The company’s objectives include;
- to support the AONB Partnership in delivery of the AONB Management Plan
- to encourage, promote, organise and deliver sustainable development opportunities in and around the AONB
- to promote sustainable habitat management, habitat creation and conservation
- to raise awareness of the special qualities of the AONB and encourage “green” community participation in the AONB
- to co-operate with other social enterprises, agencies, local authorities and local businesses to develop the local economy sustainably
This year’s Annual general Meeting was held at RSPB Leighton Moss on Friday 10 March 2017. Two speakers, from National Grid, gave an interesting presentation on proposals to connect the proposed Moorside Power Station at Sellafield with the main electricity network near Heysham and, in particular, the proposed tunnel to take the cables under Morecambe Bay. The Company’s current documents and reports are listed below and all are available in printed form from the Registered Office.
2017 AGM documents
2016 AGM documents
- Telephone:01524 761034